Covering 71% of the planet, the ocean is a single, global inter-connected ecosystem which supports a diverse and growing range and level of human activity that provides critical food, energy, transport, communications, livelihoods and other essential societal and economic needs. The ocean business community is thus critical to achieving progress with the U.N. Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)/Agenda 2030 and the Paris Agreement for Climate Change.
Business community leadership and the user perspective are especially crucial in relation to the Science,Technology and Innovation for ocean sustainable development and to developing integrated technological solutions that are (1) feasible, (2) acceptable and (3) affordable. Linking the expanding ocean economy with the sustainability imperative can lead to business growth and investment opportunities in ocean Science, Technology and Innovation in support of sustainable development.
This session will bring together CEOs from a range of ocean industries to draw on their knowledge, experience and expertise in considering the development, dissemination and deployment of technology for the ocean aspects of Agenda 2030.
The panel will seek to address:
- The science, technology and innovation relevant to ocean sustainable development
- The challenge of developing collaboration among science, technology and innovation communities
- How to translate technology research into implementable ocean business opportunities
- The means to foster and facilitate interaction within and among ocean industry sectors
- Emerging technological innovations relevant to sustainable use of the ocean
This G-STIC Ocean CEO panel also aims to:
- Ensure continuity and follow through with the themes, discussions, and outputs from previous Sustainable Ocean Summits (SOS) convened by the World Ocean Council
- Build on the results and momentum of the U.N. Ocean Conference (June 2017)
- Provide input to the:
- “Our Ocean” conference (October 2017)
- 5th WOC Sustainable Ocean Summit (SOS), Halifax, 29 Nov-2 Dec 2017.
- Technological discussions in other U.N. and international policy forums as they relate to the SDGs, the climate goals and the Means of Implementation of multilateral environmental agreements